Re: Top down rant

To: billd@voicenet.com
Subject: Re: Top down rant
From: Miq Millman <mmillman@ptd257.al.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 22:54:08 -0700 (PDT)
Bill D says:

> On Wed, 1 May 1996, Kevin Sullivan wrote:
>
> > Saw a
> > couple of Miata drivers with tops up.  On a day like this it makes you
> > wonder if maybe they just _thought_ they wanted a "convertible".
>
> Mi*t* drivers are largely poseurs.  They're 20-somethings who don't feel
> safe if they're not in a large steel cage with a roof over their heads.
> Also they don't want to ruin their $50 haircuts.
>
> > How
> > good does the weather have to be for them to lower the top?
>
> Most Mi*t* drivers lower their ragtops once a year--on a 70degF day in
> spring, and then run the A/C the rest of the summer.

This petty generalization and hatred towards the Miata is stupid, and close
minded.  I've got a dozen different cars in my garage right now.  German,
british, american, japanese....all have their merits.  I've seen just as many
MG's with the tops up as any other convertible.  Nice days or no.

Miata drivers are not all poseurs, the Miata was the only convertible sports
car in 1990.  It is the car that Rover should have made 6 years ago.  Don't
be a jerk because you can't afford a $10,000 toy car.  If you ever have the
chance to drive a Miata, do so, you _will_ come to appreciate its handling
and stiffness.

For what its worth, I've had a Miata for over 4 years, I'm no longer a
20-something, I paid $20 for my last haircut, and today, I drove around with
the top down in 53 degree weather, in the rain--and passed three other
convertibles with their tops up and who's drivers gave me strange looks.  (1
mgb rubber bumper, 1 current gen mustang, 1 vw rabbit)

damn, back to lurk mode.....

--
Miq Millman   mmillman@ptd.intel.com      503 642 6139   (Aloha site)
AL3-59  Intel, 5200 NE Elam Young Parkway, Hillsboro, OR 97124-6497