Re: Synthetic oil in LBC's

To: aa101479@dasher.csd.sc.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Synthetic oil in LBC's
From: TRHeaven@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 08:24:50 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-02 23:15:45 EDT, aa101479@dasher.csd.sc.edu (Robert
Rhodes) writes:

>       Enough people expressed an interest so I thought I would post
>this to the lists.
>
>       In the April 1996 edition of Classic Cars there is a new section
>called Technical Queries.  Classic Cars has a "lecturer/programme leader
>for vehicle restoration courses" named Terry Formhalls (with lots of
>stuff after his name) answering the readers umm, queries.
>
>       The oil question says:  I've rebuilt my Morris Minor engine and
>would like to use the best possible oil to make it last.  Should I go for
>one of the state-of-the-art synthetic oils or a classic-type product?
>
>       Answer:  Investing in fully synthetic oil for your Minor would
>waste money and could even do more harm than good.  Older engines have
>larger bearing clearances and oil pumps with lower rates of delivery than
>modern ones;  thus they generally need a thicker oil to maintain optimum
>pressure.  Synthetic oils have be designed to cope with modern engine
>developements such as turbochargers, with highly stressed bearings
>working in extreme temperatures.  A top grade synthetic, with its high
>lubricating efficiency, would even prolong the running-in of your newly
>rebuilt engine.
>       Many oil companies have introduced or reintroduced 'classic' oils
>recently..."
>
>       So he thinks that 'classic' oils are the way to go.  Any
>engineers or mechanics out there have another opinion on the clearances
>and oil pump theory?  What oil pressure have those who have switched to
>synthetics seen?
>
>Rob Rhodes                             Columbia, S.C.
>72 B

So what the answer to the above question implies that a 20W50 synthetic oil
is THINNER than a 20W50 'classic' oil?  DUH!  How else would we compare these
oils?  If there were that large of a difference in thickness between
synthetics and 'classics', don't you think the synthetic would show a
different weight, or some other grading system?  Come on folks, wake up and
smell the coffee!  Synthetics are better than 'classic' oils. Synthetics
offer better lubrication, better heat dissapation, and don't break down quite
as fast as a 'classic' due to heat.

I use Mobil 1 20W50 in my Spitfire 1500 and have had NO problems!  Sure,
everyone can have their own opinion on which is the better oil, but synthetic
oil is not a mystery potion and don't treat it as such.  Just state the facts
about each oil, and the one about synthetics not being good for older engines
is bunk!  There are too many people that use synthetics on older engines to
dispell that old wives' tale.

Synthetically yours,
Ron Nottingham