Advice on buying an MG (Rick)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice on buying an MG (Rick)
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 09:05:18 -0400
Rick and fellow fiends:

Here's my reaction to Rick's questions about buying his first MG
(specifically, buying a partially restored B):

I'd tend to think your first MG should *NOT* be one that is partially
restored, for a number of reasons:

--I'm not sure what a "strong" engine sounds like.  You need to drive it,
and you need to listen to it and test it under load.  A compression test
would be a good idea, as well as a leak down test, before you should
pronounce it "strong."  Otherwise: your first MG already needs a mechanic's
attention.  It's probably okay, but don't *assume* anything.

--With all due respect to the CO, and to yourself, you don't really know
what how the car fits back together.  Buying a manual or two helps, and your
mechanic friend is a (busy) source of valuaby advice, but there's nothing
like seeing it taken apart to learn how to put it together.  No, interior
work isn't hard, but there may be at least some $$ items the CO has missing
from his/her car and you'll need to figure that out.  I gather there is much
else to do as well, if the car isn't yet painted.  Are the electrics all in?
 Hydraulics?  If you are new to auto mechanics, and maybe have only a
partial set of tools, etc., I'd expect you won't have this car on the road
in calendar year 1996.  If, like the rest of us, you at best have every
other weekend to work on the thing, that isn't much time to (1)learn from
scratch and (2)assemble a car.

--Echoing others on the list: yes, you bet, the MG is a reletively easy car
to work on, but you've really got to *want* to work on them.  It ain't hard
to lean, but its easier to learn on a complete, intact, running car than on
a rolling shell with several boxes-o-bits.  If you don't really enjoy lying
on your back with 2300 pounds of car above you and sand and grease-bits
falling into your nose while you adjust the emergency brake, or maybe fix a
muffler mount, then I'd reconsider.

--I don't know how many restorations are abaondoned; probably not many.
They *can* represent bargains, as the CO (or CO's spouse) typically just
wants the thing outta there.  You run the risk of buying into someone's
bodged efforts and having to re-do things to your liking.  Again, no offense
intended to the CO here, but one should be cautious.

In the final analysis, again, I'd say hold off on this particular car.  It
isn't going anywhere fast (sorry, I had to say that) and you should give
yourself some time and a chance to look for another car that is running,
driving, etc.  Don't give up.  It will be worth it!  The MG, in any
iteration, is a fun, easy car to drive and work on (and learn on!).  Its a
great hobby, a great way to meet kind, sweet, good looking, caring,
concerned, sensitive and intelligent people, and a great way to spend money
and hang with fellow fermented malt beverage drinkers.  Depending upon what
your *needs* are with the car, you might consider the A, B or midget
(forgive me T-car owners, but its my opinion that the T-cars aren't for
beginners).  Stick with that feeling you had driving one a few weeks back;
it'll be there waiting for you when you find the best car to buy.

Good luck and keep in touch with us on the MGs list, but *DON'T* buy a Triumph!

Will "who still doesn't want to talk about his age, but is happy to admit an
radical case of male pattern baldness" Zehring

p.s. that's due to HIGH testosterone levels, of course!