Tranny "fix"

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny "fix"
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 09:14:03 -500
Recieved through the web...

Date:          Fri, 03 May 1996 15:36:33 -0500
From:          "William G. Heller" <HELLERW@big.bus.indiana.edu>

I'd like to share my recent experience with getting my MGA 1500
transmisson out of 4th gear in which it was stuck.  John Twist
(University Motors, Grand Rapids) had suggested fiddling with the shifter
by continuing to tug it back and forth in the 3-4 shift pattern in order to
get the finger to properly reengage the shaft.  I tried this to no avail.  But
by rocking the car very gently while moving the shifter the offending
finger was relocated in about 15 seconds.  I don't pretend to know why
this worked, since it does not seem that any motion in the gear itself
would cause the finger to reengage.  But in this case it did!  Per John
Twist, this lockup in a gear does happen occasionally with the MGA
transmission, so perhaps this one solution can help someone.

William G. Heller