Re: MOWOG

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MOWOG
From: "Bradley J. Barnes" <barnes.182@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 13:45:46 -0400
At 12:08 05/07/96 -0400, you wrote:
>After working on BMC cars for half my life, I still don't known what MOWOG
>stands for!
>What is it?
>
>--confused

        Eric Jones, the local MG mechanic here in Columbus, told me some
story about Lord Nuttfield being a great safari hunter.  On one of his
extended trips in Africa, he brought back a gorilla to his home and named it
MOWOG.  Well nuttfield was looking to save some money, so he put the gorilla
to work in his factory and taught it to tighten the camshaft nuts on.  The
gorilla did such a good job that when he died he put his name on everything
that he produced to honour him.  He told me I probably won't believe the
story, but lee Iacocca did, and he got his own gorilla and named him MOPAR.
        This is probably just a load of hog-wash, but he did seem
sincere...?  I was always under the impression that it stood for Morris
Oxford WOsley Garages or something of the sort.  Hope this helped!
Bradley J. Barnes
Ohio State University
barnes.182@osu.edu

'74 MGB    '58 Ford Fairlane