MG accelerator cable woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG accelerator cable woes
From: alex.dempster@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Alex Dempster)
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 16:38:40 +1200
After a similar problem with accelerator cables breaking in the middle of
nowhere and getting home on the choke rigged up as a hand throttle I found
that my local cycle shop stocked Chinese manufactured cycle brake cables
with one end indistinguishable from the original MGA cable end. I bought a
bunch, cut off the other ends and carry them as a spares. They cost just a
couple of dollars. Dont forget though to carry the tools to do a swap. It's
very difficult to swap the cables with just a pair of flat nosed pliers as
your only tool!
Alex.