Re: Midget 1500 Gearbox

To: matt@matanza.cc.kcl.ac.uk, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget 1500 Gearbox
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 00:00:52 -0400
Matt,

It's just plain a lot of work. I could also be really expensive if your
transmission is not a  later "modified" one, which is the only one I could
find replacement parts for.

My son and I rebuilt the transmission on his '76 Midget. The lay shaft front
gear in the transmission was badly worn and the lay shaft had to be replaced.
The situation was further complicated by the fact there was an upgrade of the
1500 transmission which involved a change to a 17 tooth reverse gear which
necessitated replacing both the reverse gear, first gear and the 1st / 2nd
gear hub assembly as well as the overhaul kit (syncro's, bearings, seals and
gaskets) that we originally planned on. The bottom line was about $750 in
parts, although it's fine now. Of course we replaced the clutch too, while we
were in there.

His car, by-the-way, took third place in last year's All British Day here in
Dallas.

If you get into the transmission and need some advise, we just might be able
to help you. It is NOT, however, a job for an inexperienced person. Make
certain you're up to it!

R. Johnson - Dallas