Re: Speedo works, odometers don't

To: Stephanie & Dennis Littrell <dlittrel@northernnet.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo works, odometers don't
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 23:56:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 14 May 1996, Stephanie & Dennis Littrell wrote:

> The sppedometer on my '73 B works fine, but neither of the odometers
> move at all. The trip odometer won't reset, either. It seems as though
> I've seen a discussion on this, somewhere, sometime, but of course I
> didn't need it then. If someone could just point me in the right

There's a spring clip which holds the odometer drive cam to the speedo
worm gear... or something like that.  It's been over 18 months since I
fixed mine so I'm a little fuzzy.

Anyway, take the speedo out and shake it gently.  You may very well hear
the clip rattling around in the case, as I did.

On mine the spring clip was tired and wouldn't hold tension.  I put it
back on with Locktite and it's worked ever since.  I would recommend a
more standard adhesive but I don't know what might eat the plastic parts
the spring clip holds in place.  My fix has lasted 12K miles so far.

The mechanism is very straightforward once you see it... just don't lose
any pieces!

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"Any given container designed to hold water, will leak, and any given
orifice designed to drain water, will plug up. - Walter Aiello"