Re: my obscene tube & the right thing to do (A)

To: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Subject: Re: my obscene tube & the right thing to do (A)
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 07:49:44 -0400
Regarding my tube, Bert Otten writes:

>But I recall
>that it has some oddly shaped knob on it. When i unscrew (if that's
>possible) this knob, I suppose that the water that gathered into the
>air vent will be drained, correct?
>
>Why should i then put back the knob? Or put simpler, where is  knob
>for?
>
>The 'unsure' Bert Otten
>'67 B

Dear Unsure:

The knob you speak of seems integral to the rubber tubing in my car and I
can only guess that some one in the dark past of MG history figured that
this knob made the tube a one way affair (i.e. water goes out but air
doesn't go in).  After all, you don't want to suck fresh air into the
ventilation/heating system from the engine bay, which is what essentially
would be happening.  Just a theory.  In more general terms, why would one
take something off a car and not put it back on?

Will