Re: car runs on one cylinder

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: car runs on one cylinder
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Thu, 16 May 96 15:21:56 PDT
Don Mathis asked:

> At 11:10 AM 5/16/96 PDT, you wrote:
> >Hoping to make this situation more complex, _I_ once saw a Midget run on
> >two cylinders with no spark!  The owner wanted to increase compression
> >but was too cheap to buy different pistons so he had a lot of metal shaved
> >off the bottom of the head.  With two spark plugs out and no spark plug
> >wires connected, he was turning the engine over by hand to adjust the valves
> >when the thing started.  It didn't run well or long, but it ran.  So much
> >metal had been shaved off the head that the engine had been turned into a
> >diesel.  He had to replace the head.  Feel free to dispute this; I'm not
> >sure I'm alive unless someone's contradicting me. ;-)
> >
> >Denise Thorpe
> >thorpe@kegs.saic.com
>
> Denise,
> maybe he had the spark plugs in but not connected.....otherwise, how did he
> get compression with the spark plubs out!?

Sorry!  I should have said two spark plugs _in_ instead of two spark plugs
_out_.  He could have had carrots in the other two holes.  There were
spark plugs in two of the spark plug holes.  My only defense is that there
were originally four in and I saw him take two _out_ and therefore I think
of it that way.

BTW, he used a big ratchet to turn the engine over.  By "by hand," I meant
instead of with the starter.  He didn't push down on the top of a piston
through a spark plug hole with his little finger.  Even _I_ would be scared
to meet someone in a dark alley who could do that.

Gee, you guys are picky.  No wonder you're all still single.  At least that's
what everyone has told me.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com