Number bands on ignition leads

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Number bands on ignition leads
From: etlsjfr@deep-thought.ericsson.se (Steve Foster)
Date: Fri, 17 May 96 13:08:10 BST
Numbering is a good idea.
As an inexperienced 17 yr old mechanic I did a cyl head recon on
a Datsun 180B SSS (yeah remember them).
The timing chain wasn't kept tight enough and the auto tensioner dropped
out (I didn't know this at the time). Reassembled her, started up,
timing chain made a terrible noise slapping away. Tore her down again
front cover as well this time! Put it all back together...She wouldn't
start! Back fire through carbs the lot! Spent ages searching before I
realized that the plug ignition leads were all mixed up.
My masking tape numbers had fallen off.
I thought I had checked the order but I hadn't...
Proper numbering would have helped!

The Datsun had the same firing order as MG's. Copy everything the Japs.

/Steve