Re: head bolt

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: head bolt
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 17 May 1996 10:23:38 -0500
In <199605171436.KAA26110@ponyexpress.Princeton.EDU>, Tim Manning wrote:
>    Can any one tell me how to replace a stripped head bolt on a 74 MGB.
>Will a healy coil work? Help.

Healey coils only work on Aus....oh, never mind.

You don't say what exactly is stripped.  B engines generally are
equipped with studs through the head.  If the top of the stud is
stripped, the stud is easily replaced.  If the stud has pulled out of
the block, then a Heli-Coil (tm) is indicated.  Go to your local nut
and screw wholesaler.  A kit usually costs about $40, but it may be
more due to the size of the studs.  It is a standard SAE thread.  I'd
replace the stud in any event.
                                A. B. Bonds