Re: To club or not to club...

To: sperling@hooked.net
Subject: Re: To club or not to club...
From: "MIKE_J2@SFOV1.VERIFONE.COM" <MIKE_J2@sfov1.verifone.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 13:46:48 -1000
>1) Is it worth joining a club?
    Depends

>2) What are the pro's and con's of various clubs
    Depends

>3) Fill in the blank "If I were to join only one MG club,
   that club would be ______________"

I've found that clubs, regardless of their focus (cars, fishing, dogs)
they generally fall into one of two categories:
#1: Technical, functional, teaching, training
#2: Social

I was in a beekeepers club that was a #1 type.  Lots of classes, technical
sessions, a yearly new beekeepers school each spring, excellent library,
several semi-professional beekeepers present at each meeting to answer
quesions.

You have to first decide what you want out of a club, then find one that
fits your wants.  A club also primarily works as well as the club members
are willing to participate.  I tend to look for clubs that fit the #1 type.
Most of these also have several social functions, but are primarily focused
on the technical details.  For a car club I would want one that also had a
resident parts person, you know, the house with the rafters full of
fenders, garage full of engine parts, yard full of frames and suspensions.

If you want driving sessions, competitions, rallys, and such, then there
are clubs who focus on driving events, and I've found are usually multi-
marque type clubs.

This list, in my opinion, is a club.  There are regular contributors, and
people who have lots of questions and are trying to learn about the MG,
other people who are trying to fix an MG, some are shopping for one, some
seem to have ALL the answers, and some seem to have conflicting answers,
which is all okay.  There are posting of a social nature, like my drive
home post.  There are elements of this list present in any in-person club.

Sort of comes down to: What do you want, and what do you have to offer.
If you just want to observe and learn than that's fine too.

Mike Jaquet  (learning what I can, helping where I can)
             (does that mean I'm doing the can-can?)