Re:MGB fuel tanks/update MGB fuel tank and Filler neck problems

To: Ian Haydock <HAYDOCKI@lib.bham.ac.uk>, "MG's" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re:MGB fuel tanks/update MGB fuel tank and Filler neck problems
From: Glenn Franco <76644.2655@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 27 May 96 22:47:32 EDT
On Monday 5/27 Ian Haydock wrote:
original post
>  Like, I suspect, many other members of this list (are we mad?),
>I celebrated the holiday weekend by putting my '73 MGB up on
>axle stands and getting underneath to check the underseal. I wasn't
>happy when I found that the bottom of my fuel tank was black
>and damp and oozing petrol! I need a new tank - but how do I drain
>the existing one? (apart from leaving it to drip itself dry for a
>month or two!). The Haynes manual and the Moss parts book both
>illustrate a drain plug somewhere on the tank, but despite groping
>around with an inspection light I can't find it. Where should it be?

Ian I just pulled mine this afternoon and drained it (mines a 76) by pulling off
the filler hose, inserting a home made lift pump hose and electric fuel pump,
rescued from some other vehicle, and discharged a full tank into my mini van.
The whole process took less than an hour.

You could jumper the existing pump, route the lines to a fuel tank and complete
the same process.

Mind was quite easy as I used the same setup to drain about 70 gallons of fuel
oil from an in ground tank before removing it. Works great!

Update on my original posting with the fuel tank problems on a 76 MGB:
orignal post
>My problem is that the orignal (leaking 1976) tank filler connection comes
straight out of the top >of the tank at a 90 deg angle (perpendicular to the
flat tank surface). The replacement (new tank) >filler comes out of the top at
an angle of 15-30 deg. (approx didn't measure).  The problem is that >the old
tank is no longer available and originaly came with a straight filler neck. The
new one >demands the old style (I assume) that is curved. These are no longer
available. Mine has the >straight neck and the hose is curved.

Removed the tank and found that the DPO had patched the top of the tank with
flat sheet and brazed it into place (and what a fine job he did). Looked as if
the tank was original from the bottom. The tank is beyond repair and I already
have a new one from Special Intrest that requires a curved filler tube from a
pre 74 model. Fact is that the 76 and part of the 77 model year run had some of
these tanks. I need a curved pre 74 model filler tube.

Can any one spare a pre 74 and post 68 curved filler tube. I'll gladly negotiate
price and pay the UPS charges.

Thanks in advance

Glenn Franco

email at 76644.2655@compuserve.com or GAF3@infoctr.chrysler.com

1971 TR6 (done, but still working on it)
1974 TR6 (hunting for performance parts like a limited slip)
1976 MGB (done, but still working on it)
1985 Jeep Scrambler (frame off fiberglass body restoration/almost done)