Re: Another TD dash question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another TD dash question
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 21:19:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 29 May 1996, Bob Dallas wrote:

> The previous owner had added a water temperature gauge to my 51 TD which I
> believe was an option originally. The DPO removed the horn/dimmer switch and
> placed the temp gauge in its place. He then made a hole on the left side of
> the dash and placed the horn switch there.  It all was ergonomically
> appealing and functioned properly.  My question--where should this temp
> guage be placed?  None of the pictures of early TD dashes ever show a temp
> guage.

Early TDs like yours didn't leave the factory with temperature guages,
optional or otherwise, so there is no standard location.  It was a fairly
popular dealer-installed or owner-installed accessory, though, and the
location you've described is probably the most frequently seen.

If you want a more original appearance without losing the benefit of a
temperature guage, use the "dual gauge" that was standard equipment on
later TDs.  This combines the oil pressure and water temperature guages in
one unit which goes in the hole previously occupied by the oil pressure
guage.  This lets you move the horn/dimmer switch back to its standard
location.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.