rose-joints etc

To: midget@megumi.system.nitech.ac.jp, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: rose-joints etc
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 19:08:59 -1000
There are different grades of rose-joints/spherical bearings etc.

The cheapest use plastic as the bearing material (i.e. between the
"spherical" part and the "housing"). These are "light duty" units,
cheap but need fairly regular replacement. At the other end of the
line are the "aircraft quality" all metal units which take higher
loads, last longer etc. Prices here vary between $15 - $75 for a
single unit of a particular size (3/8" I think it was).

In the race car suspension, I use the a/c units. Previously, I had
used the cheapest units and found that unacceptable slop in the system
(panhard rod) developed after every 4 meetings or so -- i.e. false
economy. The best quality units have lasted two years so far with care
and maintenance.

On the street, well given that rubber bushes will provide more give
than in a race suspension, you might get away with the cheapest
units. It is worth a tru I'd reckon.

Good luck, Mike
Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au