Re: Trailer Brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trailer Brakes
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 04:08:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 30 May 1996 kolansky@apache.ENET.dec.com wrote:

> BTW the controllers must connect directly to the battery since a tandem
> axle trailer can draw up to 13 amps.  The stop light circuit cannot
> provide that without blowing a fuse (and then you stop by dragging your
> feet).  The controllers have a lead that connect to your brake lights
> so that you don't provide braking power if the stop lights are not on,
> and if you manually energize the trailer brakes, it turns the stop
> lights on.  The direct connection to the battery may have a automatic
> resetting circuit breaker, but not a fuse.

I don't know of any electronic controller that draws all its power from
the brake light switch.  The connection to the switch (or somewhere
between the switch and the brake lights) acts only to trigger the
controller.  The current used to actuate the brakes is always drawn
straight from the battery.  Unless, of course, the installer ignored the
manufacturer's instructions...

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.