Re: Ignition charging at idle speed

To: BDurgin1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ignition charging at idle speed
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 19:43:44 -0600
>My car idles between 500-750 RPM. The ignition light glows quite red at this
>idle speed. The fan belt feels pretty tight and the generator is good. This
>is a '64B , positive ground.
>At about 1000 RPM's the light goes out. Should I be concerned about this?
>Should I "up" the idle or not worry.I like  a low idle sound and according to
>the bookk, I'm OK for an 18G Engine.
>
>Some collective "net" wisdom,please.
>
>Bruce Durgin

If you look up the specs, you will also see that 1000rpm is where your
generator is supposed to kick in a charge.  Sounds like you're fine here.  I
have a 67 B, and have installed a voltmeter and ammeter because I have had
problems in the past.  It is a very nice set-up to have.  With the voltmeter
you see how much charge your battery is holding, and this can be important
with earlier cars that can have a regulator stuck open or stuck closed.  It
has prevented me from blowing up a battery more than once.

Phil Bates
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C
52 MG TD replicar (VW)