Re: Brakes,master cylinder

To: airhedrz@iconn.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brakes,master cylinder
From: hansd@has.nl (Hans Duinhoven, Product manager subsystems HAS-cs (671))
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:00:29 +0200

RZirpolo wrote:

        Greetings,  The brake master cyl in my 72 B has given out and I
could use some advice from some of you geniuses out there as to the ins and
outs of removal and replacement.  Feel free to e-mail me  direct at
airhedrz@iconn.net.  And I'll even listen  to comments, suggestions etc
concerning silicone brake fluid.  Thanks in advance to all.

Hi,

In my '71 BGT half of the master cylinder failed when the car was
purchased (rear brakes did not work).
As the whole engine bay would be dismanteled for a sprayjob anyway all
hydraulic lines and cylinders were dismanteled. The clutch master cylinder
was corroded heavily on the bottom of the bore. As the bore of this
cylinder is quite narrow, I decided to have the clutch master cylinder
renewed.

The master brake cylinder was defect anyway. I assume you have an USA spec
car as my car is. The dual non-servo unit is quite complex to dismantel for
repair and the story with the master clutch cylinder made me decide to
purchase a new master brake cylinder as well.
I was lucky to get one from my supplier during the Christmas / End of Year
sale for a very reasonable price.
As you can see in the Haynes manual the job can be done although it is not
easy. You still can expect problems afterwards when the bore (mostly on
the bottom) is corroded, which will cause internal leakage.

I'd opt. for the safest solution: new.

Regards,

Hans Duinhoven

hansd@has.nl

MGB GT 1971 NBRG no OD WW looking for its roots