Re: Fuses

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuses
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 01:06:32 +0600
G.J. wrote:
>While on the subject, What are the proper fuses for the '72 'B? ie, amps,
>slow blow vs fast, etc...   (Who *knows* if I have the right ones in...)
>What is connected to each of the four fuses?
>
>Of course, lets check out the manual...oh, here it is, under fuses...:
>
>17 amp current rated, 35 amp blow rated (same as 35 amp fast blow?)

Not a bad question.  Something I've wondered about myself.  There was a
time long ago when I went through fuses pretty quickly, exhausting what
I thought was an adequate supply.  I've been driving with exactly one
spare for years, but now that I've said something about it you can
be sure I'll have a fuse blow the next time I drive the car.

If I get them from the AP store, should I pick up 17 amp (close to,
anyway) or 35 amp fuses?  The conductor in either one looks much larger
than the regular Lucas ones.  35 amps sounds like an *awful* lot of
current to pipe through the car's wiring.

What the heck does "17 amp current rated, 35 amp blow rated" mean, anyway?
Is it something like "it can handle 17 amps all day, 17 to 35 amps will
slowly burn it out, above 35 amps will blow instantly"?
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu