oil flow paths

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil flow paths
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 09:00:53 -0400
Fellow fiends:

As long as we're on the subject of oil filters and such, can someone tell me
the pathway that oil takes in the engine?  I have the Bentley manual and it
has a drawing of the oil passages with little arrows in them, but my copy is
almost indeciferable (or, as Groucho once said [paraphrasing], "Either this
man is dead or my watch is broken.").  Starting with oil drawn from the sump
by the oil pump... what happens next?  Is it filtered next?  Does it go to
the oil cooler after the filter?  Does it then split and go to the crank and
valve train?  Does it then simply drain into the sump again?  At what points
along this path are the oil preasure gauge and oil preasure relief valve
situated?

Thanks,
Will