Down to earth

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Down to earth
From: mwendelgass@europeonline.com (Manfred Wendelgass)
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 17:42:53 +0200
S.O.S !!!!!

Today is a public holiday in Germany and very very nice weather. So I decided
to make a
one day trip with my '79MGB to France.
After half an hour driving I heard a strange (grinding) noise coming from the
front
hood. First I thought that maybe one of the fans broke and were touching some
metal.
Temperature increased and I drove back home. I managed to get home before the
temperature reached the red zone. When I opened the hood I saw that liquid was
spilled all over the engine. I think(hope) it is the cooling liquid, but I am
not sure.
I just returned from my garage after letting the engine cooling down. I checked
the oil
level and it seems to be OK (level between min and max). I opened up the
coolant
container and surprisingly saw some cooling liquid. That really smashed me.
Could it be the water pump or the engine ?
The noise increases with acceleration.
What could it be ?

I am really not a car expert and this just the fourth week I own this MGB. It
is so much
fun driving it and now it broke and I am back down to earth.

Please give some advice and motivation.

PS: Oil pressure was OK (75) during the entire drive.

--
Manfred Wendelgass  \|/ Black Forest, Germany
'79 MGB             @ @