Re: MGB OIL PRESSURE VARIATION

To: john.bartholomew@amail.amdahl.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB OIL PRESSURE VARIATION
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 00:52:15 +0600
john.bartholomew@amail.amdahl.com wrote:
>When I start the
>the engine I get 80-90lbs pressure at 1500RPM, at idle 900 RPM I get
>70lbs.

Jeez!  70psi at idle is darn respectable pressure, though the relief valve
should be 'relieving' before you hit 80-90 psi.

>at 2000-2300 RPM the oil pressure gauge is flickering quite
>violently 25-30lbs variation.
>What is happening? Is the pressure relief valve opening
>and closing causing this fluctuation,

The dancing needle seems to be common.  An opening/closing relief valve is
the explanation I've heard before--a sign your pump is quite well up to the
task of making the precious fluid go.

>or is the pump cavitating?

I think the eccentric rotor type pump is close kin to a positive
displacement.  Cavitation would be quite a trick.

>Should I be concerned?

Nope.  Not at all.  As long as it stays above, say, 25 psi you're good.
If it's bothering you, check into the relief valve.  Otherwise, dial the
radio into some music whose tempo is the same as the needle and enjoy.
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu