Carb. Info

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Carb. Info
From: john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John Kahoon)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 21:04:00 -0500
I found a succesful method in a sprite/midget sevice manual I got from
the library.

 1. Remove the dashpots and pistons from carbs.
 2. loosen the clamps that ties the linkage for the two butterflies.
 3. unscrew the idle speed screws until the butterfly on each carb just
    closes.
 4. tighten the clamps that tie the butterflies together.
 5. turn each idle screw in 3/4 turn.
 6. Now, turn the jet nuts up until the top of the jet is flush with
    the "bridge" in the carb. then back them out 2 turns.
 7. replace the pistons and dashpots.
 6. crank 'er up , if the idle is fast, you can turn down the idle
    by the same amount on each carb.

 This should put you in the ballpark so you can make
 mixture,timing,dwell and other such adjustments. It worked good for me.
 It turned out to be a lot better than anything else I tried.

 While I'm on here, does anyone know what color(s) factory painted wire
wheels should be ?
                                     john.kahoon@pcohio.com

TW-PM>86@sunup.Central.Sun.COM>

TW-PM>Can someone help me with my tuning problems?

TW-PM>Here is the history and what I have done so far:

TW-PM> 1.  Soaked Carbs - Reassembled all, turned
TW-PM>     jet screws out 2 turns.

TW-PM> 2.  Tried to dynamic time engine, and this
TW-PM>     is where some of the problems are occuring.

TW-PM>Question #1    How do you keep the engine running so that the
TW-PM>  timing can be set???

TW-PM>Currently I have my son keeping the engine running by opening
TW-PM>and closing the throttle lever on the rear carb(We try to keep it
TW-PM>around 800 RPM's).
TW-PM>I use the rear one, because if I try to use the front one the engine
TW-PM>will die.  Can't keep the two running togther, so they are seperated.

TW-PM>Question #2:   Is the front carb. suppose to die when the throttle lever
TW-PM>  is opened, or is to work like the rear one?  By that I mean
TW-PM>  open the lever and the engine speed is to increase???

TW-PM>Question #3 If it is to work like the rear one, then what could be the
TW-PM>  problem?  I have both idle screws backed out all the way.
TW-PM>  Also as a side note: When the piston is raised, they both will
TW-PM>  fall back like they are suppose to with no hangups.

TW-PM>As always, I thank all of you for your help, as all of the information
TW-PM>that is exchanged on this list is very helpful and at the same time they
TW-PM>can be humorous.  I really enjoy reading all of the information that you
TW-PM>put out here, and for the most part all of the technical information is b
TW-PM>stored for reference later.

TW-PM>Thanks again for your help.

TW-PM>Tom Wagner

TW-PM>`67' MGB
TW-PM>(Various stages of restoration - All
TW-PM>Paint removed to metal, working on rust
TW-PM>removal.) Waiting for day to become daily
TW-PM>vehicle.

TW-PM>`92' Honda Civic LX(Excellent car)

TW-PM>`93' Honda Civic CDX(Moms car)

TW-PM>Sun Microsystems
TW-PM>Sun Service Division - Program Manager
TW-PM>Phone: 713-964-7068
TW-PM>Email: tom.w.wagner@Central.Sun.com
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ                         john.kahoon@pcohio.com

 |_|_| PC-OHIO PCBoard Online * pcohio.com * V34+ 33.6: 216-381-3320
 |_|_| The Best BBS in America * Cleveland, OH * Go Tribe