1st 100 miles, fouled plugs, need advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1st 100 miles, fouled plugs, need advice
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 23:29:34 -0500 (EST)
Just put the first 100 miles on the old TD after 25 years
storage. The plugs were covered with soft dry soot to the
extent that the engine was begining to miss. Here is a
run down of what I did to the engine before taking to the
road.

        Drained out the old gas from the tank, which
        had turned to varnish and tar (Smelled real
        bad by the way). Rinsed it out the best I
        could with fresh gas.

        Tore the carbs down, cleaned them up and put
        them back together with a Moss rebuild kit.

        Checked the compression, looked good.

        Set the valve lash.

        Put in new points and condenser and set the
        the timing statically.

        Adjusted the carbs by the book.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the carbs are set
too rich. Could anything else cause the plugs to foul?
BTW, there was no noticable oil consumption according
to the dip stick. Could residue in the tank be responsible?

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration
1971 MGB