Re: Repaint

To: enburke@usa1.com (Edward N. Burke Jr. )
Subject: Re: Repaint
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 03:02:04 -0700
Greeting Newell,
the bads news is the rockers are usually rusting from the inside out
and those little bubbles you see are connected to metal which is
probably no longer there. Take the car to a shop with MG experience and
they can acess damage. The longer you wait the worst it will get.

My 75 was similar and I was lucky. A few patch panels and passenger
side castle section and paint (chrome down) made me happy and pround to
B on the road again. Work cost me around $1,400.

Do the right thing and you have a driver for years to come. Do the
wrong thing and you have a $5,000 restoration in two years
Good Luck, David Deutsch

You wrote:

>   I have a 73BGT color is limeflower.  Last fall I sustained damage
to the
>rear under the hatch and the rear quarter ( crunched about a 1/4 of an
inch
>).  I was considering having the car repainted from the chrome strips
down.
>The car was repainted about thirteen years ago and the lower half
never
>recieved as good a finish as the top.  There are some small rust areas
>around the both dog legs and bottom front fenders.  These areas were
never
>reapaired when the car was originally done and they showed up rather
soon.
>Would it be feasible to repaint from the chrome strips down?  I
realize it
>all has to do with matching the paint which could be difficult. New
dog legs
>would be put in and the other areas would be taken care of too.  Would
it be
>better just to drive the car and let those areas get worse before I
have
>that type of work done?  I realize much of this is my decision but
some
>input would be helpful.  1. - fix rust areas, put a heavier coat of
paint
>on, eliminate the bottom section that does not look like it was
painted and
>buffed out too well to start with.  2. - Drive the car and enjoy, deal
with
>the mechanical problems as they come up.
>                                          Newell Burke, Worcester,
Mass