Re: Water leak...heater?

To: Jason Dutt <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Water leak...heater?
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 16:03:17 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Jason Dutt wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've got a new one for y'all...I think I answer my own
> question here, but I figured I'd drop a line, anyway.
>
> My '72 MGB occasionally (about every other time I drive)
> has a very small trickle which comes out of the heater
> vent on the passenger side by the floor.  There is no
> evidence of a leak anywhere in the engine compartment,
> so I'm assuming I have a pinhole in somewhere in the
> heater element.  Am I on the right track?
>
> This leads me to my next question:  Is this repairable,
> or should I just elect for replacement?  New heaters
> seem to be relatively expensive, and since I don't
> drive it in the winter, I was thinking about just
> bypassing the heater, for the time being.  (Don't
> worry...I'll do I right later...I just have other,
> more pertinent things I'd like to do with the car
> first.)  Would this be a big "no-no"?

I think that would be quite alright.
You might want to consider bypassing it "open", meaning that the heater
valve remains open. I read that if the heater valve is closed on an
A-series engine, number 4 cylinder does not get enough coolant flow and
will run hotter than the others.
I don't know if this also applies to MGBs.
Ulix

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy