Re: Armstrong Shocks Query

To: NKED65A@prodigy.com
Subject: Re: Armstrong Shocks Query
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 16:10:38 -0400
Go ahead and order the carpet kit. If the Roadster shocks aren't leaking, and
resistance is felt when moving the shock arm, they are generally ok.

One thing I do on both my MGs' shocks, is to drain the oil, flush out the
resevoir and chamber with clean replacement oil, and for replacement oil, I
use motorcycle fork oil, usually 10W. Most fork oils, being formulated for
harsher use than our shocks get, tend to foam much less, and as an added
benifit, they usually contain an additive that helps the seals remain soft
and doing their thing (sealing!).

I'm sure somebody out there will disagree and they may have a point. But my
Midget has 42,000 miles when I bought it 18 years ago and within a year I had
to replace both front shocks. I started using "Bel-Ray" brand fork oil in
them and the car now has 257,000 miles and it's the same set of shocks.

Rick Morrison
74 Midget
72 BGT