Re: Water leak...heater

To: mgs@autox.team.net, simjason@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Water leak...heater
From: hansd@has.nl (Hans Duinhoven, Product manager subsystems HAS-cs (671))
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 12:20:06 +0200

Jason Dutt wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi folks,

I've got a new one for y'all...I think I answer my own
question here, but I figured I'd drop a line, anyway.

My '72 MGB occasionally (about every other time I drive)
has a very small trickle which comes out of the heater
vent on the passenger side by the floor.  There is no
evidence of a leak anywhere in the engine compartment,
so I'm assuming I have a pinhole in somewhere in the
heater element.  Am I on the right track?

This leads me to my next question:  Is this repairable,
or should I just elect for replacement?  New heaters
seem to be relatively expensive, and since I don't
drive it in the winter, I was thinking about just
bypassing the heater, for the time being.  (Don't
worry...I'll do I right later...I just have other,
more pertinent things I'd like to do with the car
first.)  Would this be a big "no-no"?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Question:
Do you loose cooling liquid?
If so, yes the heater is leaky.
If not, there might be another thin to look at: the drainpipe of the heater
room.

As the heater takes in fresh air through the air inlet, water from rain or
washing can come into the heater room.
This water is drained through a drainpipe which runs along the gearbox.
This pipe maybe clogged and by this causing water to come into the cars
interior.

Regards,

Hans Duinhoven
hansd@has.nl