Voltage Regulator

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Voltage Regulator
From: arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross MacPherson)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 20:40:59 -0700
Greetings All!

Please don't tell my coworkers I'm asking this, it's kind of my field and I
could figure it out myself but I'm hoping one of the list has been there
before and can save me some head scratching.

I finally have the GT running, tuned, clutch working (finally!) and on the
road but I can't get the dynamo to provide a charge.  I first removed the
generator and opened it up to check the commutator and brush gear; all
appeared well.  I next checked the field for continuity and then flashed the
field and reinstalled with the same result.  I then slapped in a spare
generator and it did the same as the original.  Next move was to put a
jumper between the dynamo output (D) and the field connection (F) et voila'!
Full charge! (almost fried my DVAM).  This led me to the conclusion that my
regulator was hooped. Opened it up and cleaned all the contacts without
changing anything.  Okay, says I, I have a spare one of those kicking about
here somewhere.  Located and installed a sealed Lucas RB 340 I've had since
Hector was a pup and the same damn thing happened.

Now my questions.  Have any of you come across the same thing?  If so, did
replacing the regulator rectify the problem?  I don't want to spring for a
replacement regulator if I can avoid it for two reasons: 1) It's $45 I could
use for something else and; 2) if it fixes the problem it would mean I've
been packing around a "spare" voltage regulator for years that was no
friggin' good!

Now, for those RB 340 experts out there,  here's the bonus round......

Is it the voltage coil or the current cut out that I should twiddle with
first?  ( I lean towards the cut out and in fact I started in on it but
chickened out figuring I'd mine the list first.)

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross ( I can't see a damn thing...) MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT