Re: oil consumption & PCV

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil consumption & PCV
From: "J. Knight" <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 11:19:54 -0400
>I understand the PCV to be functioning properly if it opens and supplies
>vacuume to the sump only at higher rpm's, and improperly if it leaks at
>lower rpm's. It would therefore seem that if the oil is getting up the 12
>inches or so of hose to the PCV when it is bad, it also will when it is
>good. Is this true? Do all engines equiped with PCV's burn some oil at
>higher rpm's?

If you ended up with a fair amount of oil in the old PCV it is a good
chance that you will have the same in the new one, especially with the
stand off that it has from the crankcase.  You may notice that there is a
small ammount of oil working its way out of the filler cap.  If so this
is a very good indication that you have a problem with blow-by with one
or more cylinders.  This extra pressur in the crankcase will be enough to
overcome the PCV and force 'air' and oil out various sites; first ones
being mentioned previoulsy.