Re: unleaded fuel..72B head

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: unleaded fuel..72B head
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:59:30 +0000
>Chris Jung wrote:
>
>>   Also, does anyone know if unleaded fuel is
>> particularly harmful for a '72 B head?
>It would be advised to have hardended valve seats and guides installed
>when rebuilding a leaded motor.
>
>I've used lead sub. until I've performed a rebuild.  I never tempted
>fate.  Older motors used the lead in the gas as an extra lubericant for
>the valves.

I know there is a lot of debate about the need for a lead
substitute (or even if lead substitutes even do anything),
but I would like to know what brands you guys recommend.

Also, how about those oil additives? I was in the local
auto store the other day, and noticed that some of them
claim to reduce lifter noise. Anybody with a T series
MG wouldn't mind reducing that noise! Is this claim also
snake-oil?

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
53 MG-TD
71 MGB.