Re: Stalling problem (previously no subject)

To: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Stalling problem (previously no subject)
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 02:34:38 -0700
You wrote:

>Ken.Strauss wrote:
>>
>>      Help, does anybody out there have any ideas on what is causing
these
>>      symptoms.
>>
>>      Tooling down the highway just fine, all of a sudden the engine
acts
>>      like I turned off the ignition. It slows down and has no
response to
>>      the gas pedal.  However, the lights, gauges, radio, etc all
stay on.
>>      If I turn off the iginition then back on it comes back to life.
>>      Haven't yet seen any common events in these episodes.
>>
>>      All ideas will be considered and greatly appreciated.
>>
>>      Ken Strauss
>>      1980 MGB

There are many possiblities, one of the more likly would be the safety
gas flow stop mechanism located on the fire wall next to master
cylinders. The concept is that if the car flips over a valve closes
stopping gas from being pumped all over the place. By the way this will
eventually goes bad and the result will be that it causes gas to be
sprayed all over the engine compartment. You may want to perform bypass
surgery as preventive mantainance. Problem is that if the car is jarred
ie. speed bumps, pot holes the gas supply is sometimes shut down also.
The other problem could be a piece of crud the prefect size in the gas
tank that temporarily get in just the right position to restict gas at
pick up tube. In these cases when car is turned off the valve will
reset when pressure from pump pushing stops and the crud will fall away
from pick up tube when, pump created, vacuum stops. Both of these
problems are often the reason for unneeded pump replacement. This is
assuming that this problem your having as anything to do with gas
supply at all. Just a couple of other possibilities, Happy hunting,
David Deutsch