Re: Flooding?

To: Xerxer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Flooding?
From: MGBCHRIS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 11:00:01 -0400
Sounds like one of two things.  Based on the description of your car, it may
be fitted with an electronic ignition.  My 77 B was equipped with a Lucas
Electronic Ignition when I purchased it.  These things are reknown for
overheating - particularly in hot weather of course.  Mine sufferd the exact
same symptoms, until it finally quit althogether.  If your ignition is
electronic, two types were fitted.  One has it's amplifier mounted on the
distributor, the other is separate, on the inner wing.  If yours is separate,
one way of confirming this problem is to pour some cool water on the module.
 If the car immediately restarts, than you can be confident that it is your
problem.  My mechanic claims that he knows someone who avoided being late for
a meeting with this problem by urinating on the module! (I've never tried).
 If this is the problem, I suggest replacing the ignition with one of the
Crane units that can be obtained from any of the major parts sources.  These
retrofit your old distributor with a new pick-up, and replace the module with
a dependable system, with better heat resistance for less dough.  Worked for
me.

Other than that, the other bet is vapor lock.  Either of these problems go
away if the affected system is allowed to cool, hence your car starts again
after 15 minutes or so.

Good Luck,

MGBChris@aol.com