more on oil, MkII

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: more on oil, MkII
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 13:09:17 -0400
Bill writes:

>I put to you that New York City taxicabs do not encounter the same driving
>conditions as average vehicles, and therefore do not form a scientific
>basis for a survey that relates to the average vehicle driven by a private
>citizen.
>
>Trivial point: NYC taxicabs see high idle time and do virtually *no*
>highway mileage.

Many of you will realize that most often I don't know what I'm talking
about, but...  aren't these conditions Bill describes just about the worst
when it comes to engine stress?  If so, and if oil has anything to do with
engine stress and wear of oiled surfaces, then maybe it _is_ valid to
examine the NYC cabs?  It makes sense to gather data from such a source, as
they are the ones most likely to uncover the limitations of oil's ability to
protect.

I've always belived that the nicest thing you can do to your engine is run
it at highway rpms and loads for long uninterupted periods.  Engines with
even loads last longer and run happier, don't they?  _SOME_ of that has to
be arrtibutable to oiled surfaces.  Having said all of this, I don't dispute
the main conclusions either.  I wonder what they'd say about oil filters???

How 'bout it?  Why not submit a grant application to me and I'll triage you!

Will "been there, done that" Zehring

p.s.  I hope no one from the NIH is on this list!

p.p.s.  Who needs to see 1500 other MGBs?  I know what they look like.
So...  those of you that aren't going to INDY are invited to come to the
Mid-Ohio racetrack for the vintage races, and grill some red meat over an
open flame, drink some fermented malt beverage, and smoke some really smelly
cigars with me (cool!).  I have no idea where 'bouts on the track we'll be
camping.  Just follow your nose!