GTI alternator

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: GTI alternator
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 09:32 EDT
Kurt asks :
>Gerry, a few weeks back you talked about using a GTI in place of the Lucas
>alternator in your MG. Could you give me some more specifics about the GTI
>alternator that you used?

The Bosch alternator came out of a 1986 VW GTI with AC. All Golfs that
had AC had the 90Amp alternator, without AC you only got a 65A alternator.

The fitment was really easy.
1 - Remove existing alt.
2 - Get a piece  of 5/16" steel rod (about 7" long)
3 - Cut threads into the the first 1 1/2" of each end of the rod
4 - Place the Bosch alt. and thread the rod throughthe same mounting holes
    as the original
5 - Use nuts and washers to securely locate the alternator.
    Make sure that the pulley of the alternator lines up straight with the
    water pump pulley and the crankshaft. If you need to move the alt. backwards
    or forwards, use more/less washers on the 5"16" rod
6 - I made up a new adjuster for the alt., but you can use the original one.
7 - Now the fun part - go to your local PepBoys and locate the correct fan
    belt !!. It took 3 trips to PepBoys to get the correct one so be patient.

BTW- you may be tempted to use thread rod (from a hardware store) instead
of the 5/16" steel rod - DON'T. The hardware store rods are really weak and
made of flimsy steel. I used a grade 5 long bolt and cut the head off.

gerry