Re: GT fenders....

To: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Subject: Re: GT fenders....
From: ek_john_luthy <luthy@cesd.servtech.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 00:56:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Ross MacPherson wrote:

> Greetings List, the quest continues......
>
> Can someone tell me what the difference is between the front fenders on a
> `66 and a `69 GT?   British Motor Heritage offers new fenders for GT's  `69
> and later and I'm considering new for my `66.  What kind of fitting problems
> could I expect?  While I'm on the subject of fenders, what kind of fill is
> there around the bead at the point where the fender meets the scuttle?  Is
> it slightly filled to give a gentle rounding or is a crisp joint as if it
> were a leather bead as on the T series?
>    ___        \______                 Ross MacPherson
>   / __ \ __ /       /------|)         arm@unix.infoserve.net
> /  (___)---------/ (___)      Vancouver, BC, Canada
>  1947 MG-TC 3528              1966 MGB-GT

        Ross;

The "fill" is a part of the fender. It is steel, DO NOT TRY TO PRY THE
FENDER OFF BY BREAKING THE "FILL". I have seen hundreds of gt fenders
that were damaged by people trying to "dig out the "fill, leather bead".
After years of paint and an ocasional errant body repair-man the area can
take on a look as if it were filled with somthing special.

After you remove all of the bolts on your fender and it still won't come
off climb under the dash and remove the "hidden" bolt that is burried in
there. It is almost impossable to see and even harder to remove.

Differnces in fenders were first seen  in 1969, they had reflectors on
them, so they would have two small holes for the screws. In 1970 the side
marker lights were installed so there would be a large hole for the lamp asy.
of course in 1974 the rubber bumber cars came around and the fenders were
differnt for them. I saw a rubber bumber GT in a magazine once, but never
on the road.
                good luck
                you'll need it (and plenty of band-aids)
                        LEX