WD40 on water pumps

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: WD40 on water pumps
From: Simon.MATTHEWS@st.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 96 11:39:18 +0200
     What interests me about this stuff (WD40) is why do people (including
     manufacturers) think it frees up rusted components?

     Story: (before owning LBC) I could not remove from wheel on Alf*s*d --
     wheel was rusted to hub. Removed bolts, Soaked in WD40. Attempted
     'pursuasion' with lump hammer. No good. Cursed, swore, repeated
     process. Not progress.

     Next day, replaced bolts, drove car to work where they had a stock of
     excellent releasing oil. Remove bolts, Squirt releasing oil on wheel,
     10 mins later, wheel falls off hub with no help required.

     Conclusion: WD40 is almost useless on rusted components. Get a proper
     releasing oil.

     Postscript to story -- this problem happened to me again on second
     Alf*s*d. This time releasing oil not available. Inflated tyre with
     airosol sealant, loosened bolts 1 turn, drove round block. Wheel now
     loose!

     Second postscript, normal removal of water pumps on said non-LBC cars
     was in-place-destruction! Standard practice (by dealer) was to break
     pump while it was still stuck in the block, then remove the bits!

     Regards,
            Simon