Removing twisted off bolts

To: WEAKLEW <weaklew@aa.wl.com>
Subject: Removing twisted off bolts
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 12:18:58 -0500
WEAKLEW wrote:

> Kevin,
> Forget the Easy-outs.  If the bolt is really stuck, you're most likely to end
> up with part of the hardened steel Easy-out broken off in the hole you drilled
> in the broken off bolt.  Then you are really in a pickle.  Been there.  Done
> that.
> Best bet for a bolt or stud broken off flush is to carefully drill out the
>bolt
> and retap.  If you use progressively larger drills, you can gradually correct
> any off-centeredness.  Last drill should be the correct size for the tap.  BE
> CAREFUL WITH SMALL DRILL BITS.  You can also break them off in the hole.  Been
> there.  Done that.
> Good luck,
> Bill Weakley, 56 MGA, 65 Midget
Some advice on twisted off bolts:  locate some _left_ handed twist drills.
Probably hard to
find, but they are available.  Eastwood has them in their catalog, seems like I
remember seeing
some at Sears also.  Use a drill motor in the reverse direction.  Frequently
the torque and heat
of drilling out the stud in a counter-clockwise direction will free the stud
remnants.  If not,
you have the necessary hole for easy-out or rethreading anyway.

My $.02 worth.  YMMV

Wayne Kube
79B
Plano, TX