Re: Help on Brake Cylinders

To: tom.wagner@Central.Sun.COM (Tom Wagner - Program Manager)
Subject: Re: Help on Brake Cylinders
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:02:30 -0700
At 08:42 AM 6/27/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I have a 67 MGB that has sat for a
>long time, 7 years, and need to rebuild
>the brake cylinders.
>Can someone tell me how to
>get the internal components out of the
>brake cylinders.  I have seen mail around
>that talks about brake adjusters and to heat
>them.  This is okay with me, but is it the
>same thing????
>
>I have tried the WD-40 trick with no help.
>
>So are the adjusters and brake cylinders
>the same thing????

Hi Tom,

In my experience you'll probably have to drive the pistons out of the
cylinder bores and when you do you'll find so much rust pitting in the
cylinders that they'll have to be replaced.  Unless the DPO installed
silicone fluid before parking the car for 7 years the fluid will have
absorbed a lot of moisture.  Chances are the wheel and master cylinders will
all be shot.  Save yourself a whole pile of grief and just replace them all.
Trying to hone out badly pitted cylinder bores is false economy at best and
down right dangerous at worst.  While you at it, replace all the fluid and
flex hoses too.  Brakes are NOT the place to cut corners.  Spend the bucks
and do it up right.

When I first got my TC home I had brakes on only one wheel.  I had to remove
each wheel cylinder, mount it securley in a vise and pound the piston out
with a brass drift and a large hammer only to find they were pitted way
beyond being usable.  TC front wheel cylinders are $170 each and the rear
$190. The TC Master cylinder is about $250.  I bought a new master cylinder
and had a machinist friend sleave the wheel cylinders with stainless steel,
this cost me only a 12 pack of Guiness ( God bless you Malcolm!)  Even if
I'd had to cough up the whole shot it would still be way cheaper than
rearranging the front of the TC with a tree.  Similar parts for a B are
(comparatively) cheap as dirt.  Buy NEW parts and forget about them.

Cylinders and adjusters are two completely different things. The cylinders
are hydraulic devices that move the shoes when you press the pedal.  The
adjuster is a mechanical cam/screw  type arangement that is used to
compensate for regular wear in the linings.
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT