Re: Kit car for MGB?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kit car for MGB?
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 19:50:21 +0600
Trevor Boicey wrote:
>  What does anyone think of the various kit cars for the MGB
>roadster?
>
>  One in particular I am seeing an ad for is a "C-F Enterprises"
>California Ace. Apparently, a 1961 AC Ace replica.

There was a writeup on that kit in the August '95 ish of _British Car_,
and they fairly raved about it.  Keep in mind C-F Enterprises buys an
ad in that mag, but the writeup seemed sincere--not just sugar-coating
or glossing over big deficiencies.

The kit replaces all MGB exterior panels.  About the only thing retained
from an MGB is the windshield and its frame.  Full instructions and
drilling templates are included.  Oughta be a fairly easy conversion to
do.  Infinitely easier than pulling off a GT's roof.

FWIW, I think it makes a pretty good-looking car.  Turns the mundane into
something more exotic.  A good approximation of an Ace.  The MGB
windshield and the lines of the doors won't fool anybody versed in the
Ace, but nobody else will be any wiser.  For that matter, the bigger
fools on the road will think it's a bloody Cobra.

>  The information packet is only $5, which is probably worth it for
>a lark, but I am curious how this could work. It's likely not as good
>as it seems, but it would be an interesting project for a roadster
>facing many body panel replacements.

Definitely worth the $5 for anybody interested.  Looks and sounds like
a quality kit, and may be just the thing for a bulk body-panel
replacement project.
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu