Re: Kit car for MGB?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kit car for MGB?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 00:09:47 -0400
> There was a writeup on that kit in the August '95 ish of _British Car_,
> and they fairly raved about it.

  Wow, how can I get a copy of that article? Ever seen it online?

> The kit replaces all MGB exterior panels.  About the only thing retained
> from an MGB is the windshield and its frame.  Full instructions and
> drilling templates are included.  Oughta be a fairly easy conversion to
> do.  Infinitely easier than pulling off a GT's roof.

  Indeed. And doesn't look like it would be too expensive. The kit they
advertise in the magazine is "$2495" (USD) but a lot of these kits are
famous for missing key parts you have to pay extra for.

  Considering the numbed of "Just Destroyed" rusty roadsters out there,
this could be an interesting toy. Anybody got a rusty roadster they
want to sell me? ;>

> Definitely worth the $5 for anybody interested.  Looks and sounds like
> a quality kit, and may be just the thing for a bulk body-panel
> replacement project.

  Exactly. I've never had to do a bulk body replacement for MG, but I
know firsthand what a bulk body replacement for a TR3 costs. $2495 for
every panel is a good deal, especially considering it gives a full
facelift.

  Lone problem is that it replaces the MGB's classic looks with
aggressive racing looks, but doesn't improve the performance. You
end up with a Cobra-like car with nothing close to Cobra-like
performance.