Re: MBG door removal

To: Pschauss@aol.com
Subject: Re: MBG door removal
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 00:37:16 -0500
Pschauss@aol.com wrote:

> What is the best way to loosen the four (posidrive? phillips? head)
> bolts which hold the door hinges to the body on an MGB?  Is
> this the proper way to remove the doors or should I be trying
> to remove the door from the hinge?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter Schauss
> 1980 MGB
> 1963 Austin-Healey 3000 MK II

You can either remove the door from the hinge - and have a _lot_ of trouble
realigning
them back to the proper level, or you can remove the hinges from the body.  On
my 79B
I removed the right side hinges with an impact wrench.  You will need to find
the
correct size Phillips bit to fit securely or risk rounding out the recess in
the bolt.
Even so, one of them rounded out on mine, and had to be drilled out.  Besided
the four
bolts that you see, there is a stud on each hinge with washers and nut that is
only
accessable from under the fender after you remove the splash panel.  This will
give
you a chance to clean and inspect the inside of the rocker panels for rust.
You will
need a socket and long extension to reach these.  Inspect and renew the gasket
that is
on the splash panel while you're at it.

Wayne Kube
'79B