Re: Split Fires

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Split Fires
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 96 08:21:15 -0400
>At the risk of opening up a whole new can of worms, what does the list think
>of Split Fire spark plugs? Just wondering.

Nothing like a good can of worms to stir up a good discussion.  Some
reasons why I don't recommend using SplitFire plugs:

1) Change in burn pattern.  Which is a bad thing in most cars.  Heads are
designed with attention the the burn pattern of the air-fuel mixture.  By
changing the initial pattern at the plug the usual result is an
incomplete burn of the fuel.

2) Severely grouped heat ranges.  This is something that Champion does
with its plugs, yet SF has taken it even further.  For a group of major
applications, AC Delco and Motorcraft require 14-16 different plug
numbers, Champion 11, and SF 9.  This is a selling point to retailers as
taking up less shelf space.  Only problem is the consumer ends up with a
'generic' plug the just fits in their vehicle.  Because of the heat range
grouping a fair number of people end up with a dieseling problem.  My
Chevette would keep running for 10-20 seconds whenever driven more than
10 miles, (I received a free set to try out.)

3) $$$ Cost $$$.  Why pay so much for something the will give you worse
performance?

But you say, "I know someone who has gotten __ mpg better fuel economy
with SplitFires.

4) After selling SF for the first 2+ years that they were out I did not
hear of one person who has experienced this phenomenon without changing
their cap & rotor at the same time.
JMHO, but go figure!

My advice is to invest in a more efficient plug such as a "gold" series,
U-channel or needle electrode designs.

John Knight

'73 MGB (undergoing restoration)
"If uniqueness makes us who we are... why be like everyone else?"