Editing included text

To: admin@autox.team.net
Subject: Editing included text
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 20:16:50 -0400
A week or two ago, I was cleaning up the MG digest, and sent a message
to the MG list asking folks to put some effort into editing the text they
include with their replies.  Though it shouldn't come as a surprise to me,
a fair number of folks seemed to have no idea what I was talking about.
So, I'll explain myself with some examples from the various lists.  I won't
include the one from the triumph list where a digest subscriber sent in two
or three lines of comment, followed by the *entire* 60,000 chars of the
digest in his reply.

In the examples below, the line and char counts are probably not absolutely
exact, but close enough to illustrate my point.  And my point is that it
would be nice if you folks would put some effort into not having unnecessary
volume being added to the size of the list mailings.  Sure, it seems like
only a dozen or wo people are on the big lists, since they are the only ones
who submit messages, but the big lists have around 1,000 entires.  An extra
10K of chars per day on each of these lists starts to add up.

One night I shrunk the tigers digest from 85,000 to just under 50,000.
Person A sent a message.  Person B replied, with all of Person A's mail
included.  Person A then responded to that, with all of Person B's message
included, which of course had the orignal message in it.  Then Person B
replied to A's reply, which included the original message, B's reply, A's
reply to that and then B's latest reply.  And then A chimed in again, etc.

So maybe with some education of the list members, I'll go from spending 15
hours a week cleaning up "mailbox full" errors to only 14.9!

mjb.
----

1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Example 1:  (The infamous "Me too" message) 29 lines, 970 chars

>*** Resending note of 06/24/96 16:13
>
>>"Bruce A. Krobusek" wrote:
>>
>>> Was there ever a consensus regarding the SOLers getting together at
>>> one place and at one time at VTR in Albany? If so, could someone fill
>>> me in as to the wheres and whens? If not, should we try to set
>>> something up?
>
>To which Ken Streeter replied:
>
>>I don't know that anything was decided, but would be looking forward to
>>this, too!
>
>By then *I'll* probably be ready for a break too! I'm just not up for
>organizing ANYTHING else right now. If someone wants to coordinate something
>I'll be happy to answer questions about available or convienent locations.
>
>So far we have Bruce, Ken, Jamie Palmer, Andy Mace and me. I would guess
>that Bob Bownes, Mark B, John Lye, and Chris Kantariev would be up for
>it too. Any others?
>
>Rik, chairing this thing is enough to do, Schlierer

Count me in too.

Ralph Jannelli

What *could* have been sent, 3 lines, about 30 chars: