Re: hot plugz/new fun with MGs

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Subject: Re: hot plugz/new fun with MGs
From: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 16:14:51 +0100
Wed, 3 Jul 96 15:26:15 +0200, Will Zehring wrote:

>As a spinoff from the splitfire thread, someone mentioned plug
>temperatures.
>I'm running Champion N9Ys in the '63 B now, mostly out of habbit.  I
>have  to say that I've had some bad ones, right out of the box.  I
>have thought  that I'd switch to either Bosch or a particular
>Japanese brand that I can't  remember the name of right now, but I
>still have two sets of new Champions  to go through...  Am I related
>to Jack Benny?

At the risk of starting the whole plug thread again i have to let you
know my experience about plugs. My Haynes' manual for my, even more
daily, car as the "B", a VW Passat Variant of '78 (OK, I bought the
car because it was cheap, but real german reliability!) specifies
Champion N9Y, Bosch or NGK BPR5ES. The engine of my Passat
consumes/spills? a lot of oil, mostly via the valve guides, after
170000 miles without a rebuild whatsoever.

History: I used NGK plugs for 30000 miles. Replaced them with Bosch
plugs (with platinum electrodes!). After 100 mile got one (no. 4)
cylinder not working. Turned out to be a bad plug. Replaced with a
new Bosch. After 2000 miles same problem. Put in old NGK plug, which
I carry as a spare, in No.4 cylinder. Engine worked fine again. After
20000 miles I replaced all four with Champion N9Y. Same problem
after, say 5000 miles. Put in very old NGK. Problem gone.

At this moment i use both for my MGB and the VW NGK plugs. I assume
that in a normal engine which doesn't use oil you won't notice a
difference between the brands however.

Just my 0.04 florin

Bert Otten
'67 B