Re: MGB '80 TIME CLOCK

To: Robert J Ryll <rjryll@aztec.co.za>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB '80 TIME CLOCK
From: etaylor@nr.infi.net (Ed Taylor)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:36:47 -0400 (EDT)
>Can anyone help with a simple procedure for removing the time clock on
>my 1980 MGB Roadster. I Can't tell the make of the unit from its
>position on the dashboard as all it says is Quartz. Although the unit
>works ok the time setting control knob is broken. Are these units
>serviceable, or are original replacements available.
>
>Your comments would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks Rob!
>
>rjryll@aztec.co.za

Rob: Apparently a couple of different makers supplied clocks to MG.
I recently had to replace mine - couldn't adjust the time. New ones are
available for $80 from Moss and Vicky.  I called around and found a
clock at a used parts house for $20 - works well.  I had to repaint the
rim, but that was no problem (for $60 savings, well worth it!).

As to removing, you'll have to remove the speedometer first. Reach behind
the dash, and with the flat of your palm on the front of the speedo, and
your other hand grasping the back of the speedo, rotate the speedo
clockwise while at the same time pushing it out. It will rotate about 20 degrees
before clearing the keyway. After the speedo is out, you can reach behind
the clock and unscrew the retainer bracket, then push the clock out.  Should
be no problem.

Ed in Greensboro, NC