"Crack of Doom" on MGB doors

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: "Crack of Doom" on MGB doors
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 12:04:06 -24000
>From time to time someone mentions the "Crack of Doom" on MGB doors; I
suppose they mean the cracks which begin on the door skin just behind the
window glass frame [got 'em on my '79].  My doors don't appear to be
misaligned, but...

I'm more likely to weld in a doubler plate that to re-skin a whole door for
such a crack, but I'd rather fix the cause of the problem.  I don't want to
have to re-skin again a couple of years down the road.

Are the cracks caused by door misalignment, or a design flaw?  I'm usually
all for originality, but I'd rather reinforce the door or change a sheet
metal edge radius a little, and fix it for good.

'Any of you mechanical types know about this?

Sean "things like this keep me up nights" Johnson
'79 MGB