Re: Cutting out

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cutting out
From: Guy Kelley <guyk@ayla.lbl.gov>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:15:48 -0700
I'm catching up on old posts, so this response may be out of date.
On June 19, 1996, Ken Strauss asked for comments about his MGB cutting
out on the highway.

My '53 TD does exactly the same thing, including comming back to life
after switching the ignition off and back on again.  I am quite sure the
cause in my case is the electric fuel pump (points) getting stuck and not
pumping fuel.  Turning off the ignition momentarily causes the solenoid in
the fuel pump to relax, "resetting" the points.

I figured this out by watching my amp meter very carefully.  I can see
the amp meter tick every time the fuel pump ticks.  When the engine
quits unexpectedly, I notice that the amp meter isn't ticking as usual.
After cycling the ignition switch, I see rapid ticking while the fuel
pump refills the carb bowls, then the slower steady ticking during
normal running.

I assume the correct fix is to replace the points.  Some day I'll get to it.

Guy Kelley
gokelley@lbl.gov
'53 MG-TD