Re: vacuum gauge

To: rwbmg@voyager.net
Subject: Re: vacuum gauge
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 05:17:25 -0400
In a message dated 96-07-18 22:40:35 EDT, rwbmg@voyager.net (wayne buletza)
writes:

<< During the early 70's the US experienced a gas shortage. Vacuum gauges
were touted and sold as a device that would enable a driver to "maximize" the
correct shifting points, thus "increasing power while improving milage"...uh
huh.  I have no idea how they worked or whether they worked at all.  But I'm
sure it looked quite "racey" banded to the steering coluum or screwed to the
dash.  Probably lots of uninformed folks thought it was a replacement for a
tach. >>

Stomp the gas and the vacuum disappears.  Let up on the gas and the vacuum
goes to max.  Heavy foot, poor economy.  Light foot, good economy.  High
vacuum implies light foot, ergo good economy.  If you drive for high vacuum
you get good economy.  But hey, you don't need a vacuum gauge fot that.  Just
put a block under the gas pedal so it only goes down half way.  FWIW, if I
was happy driving like that, I wouldn't own an MG.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA (with an attitude)
Naperville, Illinois